Thursday 4 June 2015

-- The Strange Drawing --

When Zen Master Panshan Baoji was near death, he said to the monks, "Is there anyone among you who can draw my likeness?"
Many of the monks made drawings for Panshan, but none were to his liking.
The monk Puhua stepped forward and said, "I can draw it."
Panshan said, "Why don't you show it to me?"
Puhua then turned a somersault and went out.
Panshan said, "Someday, that fellow will teach others in a crazy manner!"
Having said these words, Panshan passed away.

----!!!!----
Zen is not about planning for society. A society can never be enlightened. A person becomes enlighten. Zen is not about shaping some sculpture. Zen is shaping yourself.
This is why Buddha says:
उदकं हि नयन्ति नेत्तिका, उसुकारा नमयन्ति तेजनम् ।
दारुं नमयन्ति तच्छका, अत्तानं दमयन्ति पण्डिता ॥
Irrigators channel waters;
fletchers straighten arrows;
carpenters shape wood;
the wise master themselves.
~ Dhammapada , Verse 80 ~
~ Buddha ~
But people keep finding ways to NOT shape themselves. They keep evading from meditation. A senior executive in my previous company used to ask me frequently that he was very stressed and restless and wanted some remedy. Generally I don’t give suggestion to anyone. I have hundreds of friends but I seldom suggest anyone to meditate. But since he sought for my advice, I said him that listening to good lectures like: 'be positive’, ‘don’t take stress’, ‘be cool’, ‘remain in present’ etc etc will not help. Words are very superficial. Only meditation will help because it enlightens your deep unconscious mind. He said, “Yes! I agree to your point. I have heard several such good quotes but it couldn't help. I want to mediate. But what to do? My schedule is very busy and moreover I have to give some time to my family too.”
I said OK. Later he forgot my words. Who remembers these bullshit talks about Meditation? People have other important things to do. He forgot. A couple of weeks later, I asked him on one Monday that how was his weekend? He said, “It was great! My wife, along with my son, had gone to meet her parents in other town. So no-one was there at home. So, I watched 3 movies continuously on Sunday!” And he used to say that he didn't have time for meditation!
This is how people live a life of deception. They find all kinds of excuses to evade from facing themselves.
No! Zen is NOT talking about philosophies. Zen is NOT about finding some external heaven. Zen is not about shaping any external thing. Zen is all about knowing yourself. That knowledge brings about the natural shape in you.
To shape others is politics. To shape oneself is religion. And by religion I don’t mean Hinduism or Buddhism or lslam or Christianity. No! Religion is a complete word in itself. Adding any prefix with Religion makes it irreligious!
Zen has only one message : Meditate! Zen means meditation.


No comments:

Post a Comment